How to Clean a Shaker Properly 101
For starters, let’s just assume you already cleaned the shaker prior to using it and making it dirty again (if not, that’s truly disgusting). Here’s how to clean a shaker properly:
- Wash out (or at least rinse the shaker if you are not at home or around a sink with cleaning products) your shaker immediately after using it for your pre, intra, or post-workout beverage.
- If your shaker bottle is dishwasher safe (more than likely top-rack only), toss it in the dishwasher and let it do its thing while you sit back and focus on your post-workout recovery. If any of the components are not dishwasher safe, you will need to wash them by hand. Then, grab the shaker from the dishwasher after it’s gone through its cycle and it’s ready for another use. If you don’t have a dishwasher, proceed to step 3.
- Using a washcloth and warm soapy water or a dishwashing wand and soap with warm water, scrub all areas of the shaker bottle (inside, outside, and all of the components). Rinse them all off thoroughly to ensure no soap or residue is still on the shaker or components. Sit all of the components and shaker individually on a drying rack or towel to air dry completely. You may also use a towel to hand dry them if you wished to use it again and didn’t have time to allow it to air dry.
Removing Bad Odors
If you notice your shaker is starting to have an odor, you either haven’t washed it properly or you did not clean it soon enough before the smell started to appear. There are a few things you can use in this instance. Here’s how to get rid of bad odors to allow you to clean your shaker properly:
- Take used wet coffee grounds from your morning pot of coffee and place a layer at the bottom of your shaker bottle. Place the lid on securely and ensure that the cap is closed. Allow it to sit for several hours or even overnight to help get rid of nasty odors. Wash it thoroughly when done.
- Take your shaker bottle and fill it with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Place it on the counter or table with the lid on but the cap open. Leave it there for several hours or overnight and then wash it out when done. Be sure the location is a place where no one will tamper with it or knock it over and spill the contents.